Friday, August 19, 2011 By: Kate

Crayon Snobs



Every spring I inherit piles and piles of crayons from the other teachers in my school.  Kids leave them behind when going off to summer vacation, and the teachers order new sets for next year's students.  That leaves all these perfectly good crayons for me!

Because of this interesting phenomenon, most kids are 'crayon snobs'.  Every year I get some kids wanting to know why I use 'worn out' or 'broken' crayons... and do I have a crayon sharpener?  I have even had kids tell me a crayon was 'all used up' because the part protruding from the paper wrapper was used up.  It seriously never crosses their mind to PEEL THE WRAPPER BACK!  I have also had kids tell me they simply don't want to use it unless it has a pointy tip.

What do I do about it?  I use polite terminology, of course, but essentially I tell them to 'suck it up, Buttercup!  These are perfectly good crayons, you don't need a sharpener, and we don't waste in this classroom!'

So, the one supply I have never had to order?

CRAYONS!

1 comments:

sariqd said...

*coughs nervously* Hi? I'm Sara and I'm a recovering crayon snob...

I LOVE new crayons. They're NEW! Nobody has busted the tips or broken them in half.

However, as a mom, I've discovered that we go through a LOT. Hence, I've taken to saving up the bits & pieces and melting them down in my fancy silicone molds. Want a corn-shaped crayon? Done. Flower? Even a madeleine cookie-shaped one? Done and done. The novelty hasn't worn off for my kids, thank goodness.

I wonder how much money you save by not having to stock up...