Several weeks ago, I ran 16.5 miles and my knees REALLY did not like it! I ended up walking the majority of the last two miles and I was very frustrated. The following weekend, I decided to cut my long run down to 10 miles, just to give my knees a bit of a break. That was working out great, until I pulled something in my lower left leg about 1.6 miles from the end of the run. Gah. I limped along, calling each family member in turn, to see if anyone was close enough to home to come and pick me up. No one was even remotely close. So, I limped on home for 1.6 miles. I iced it all day, but it still took about a week before I was able to "run" again. Now I am back to running, but I seem to have lost all ambition. I should be running 20 miles by now (in my training schedule), but I don't seem to have the motivation to do more than 7 or 8 miles at a time. :~/
Ah well. I still plan to "run" the marathon in a few weeks. My time on it will probably be terrible, but at least I'll be able to check it off the bucket list and go back to the kinds of workouts I enjoy doing!
I do enjoy running... for about an hour or less. After that it just becomes WORK. I'm not a marathoner, after all. I need to stick to the 10K to Half Marathon distance.
I also enjoy riding my bike... when it isn't a race.
I can't wait to get back to swimming, too! I've spent all this spring focused almost exclusively on running, with only one cross training workout per week. I can't wait to just go back to swim/bike/run/kayak/weights... and doing them whenever I want!
But all of that isn't really what I wanted to talk about today.
Despite all my exercising, I haven't lost ANY weight.
I know it shouldn't matter. My heart is healthy. My body is healthy. That is what should matter.
But I want a flat tummy. I want the flab and fat gone. Bottom line.
So, I have decided that I simply have to gain control of some kind over my diet.
Did you know that I gave up soda last November? Okay, I admit, I drank one in Hawaii. But I discovered that it tasted terrible! Woah. I used to LOVE the taste of Dr. Pepper! Now it just tastes like bitter chemicals to me. HURRAY! I am actually really glad for that "cheat" soda, because before I drank it, I struggled with my willpower every time we ate out, because I was remembering that wonderful taste. Now, it is super easy to go for a non-soda beverage, because I know soda won't taste good.
I thought giving up soda would be the magic bullet for weight loss. People are always saying, "I gave up soda and dropped 20 lbs!" Yeah, not me.
So. It is time for a new challenge. I feel like I have won the soda fight, and it is time for a new battle.
I am going to track my sugars.
That's it. No calorie counting. No worrying about ratios of proteins and carbs. Just count those stinkin' sugars.
So far today I am up to 57 grams. That is just breakfast (oatmeal w/butter, 1 tsp. of sugar, and cinnamon & a glass of milk) and lunch (frozen burritos w/sour cream & salsa & a glass of milk).
How many sugar grams am I supposed to have in a day?
50-60 grams.
Well, sha-poopie.
I'm already at the limit at 3:00 in the afternoon. That's without any treats, too. Dinner will take me over.
This is gonna be a hard fight.
I can tell immediately that I'm gonna have to curb my milk addiction. Milk has 12 grams per cup. So, I'm gonna have to cut my portions in half, I think.
I'll let you know how it's going in a month or two.
0 comments:
Post a Comment