Sunday, November 14, 2010 By: Kate

Preference 2010

The "Day Date"

Every school dance has evolved into the day long event.  I have written about this before.  Just click here for Prom 2010 if you want to revisit that post.

For Preference, the day date was discussed and debated for weeks on end.  The girls just couldn't come up with a great, yet inexpensive activity to do.  Then, one day this past week, the thought of gingerbread houses just popped into my head while at work.  I quickly texted Helena, who showed the text to Megan (they were both in Physics together) and it was an instant yes!

So, yesterday morning, Once I was up and dressed, I designed a template and began cooking gingerbread.  It took several hours and I was still trying to bake the last batch and mix up the icing when Megan and Helena picked up the boys and brought them over.

Daniel Allenbach was Helena's date, and Westin Wong was Megan's date.  All parties were good, good friends, so it made for an ideal double date.  Helena and Daniel made one house, while Megan and Westin built another one.  I could tell that Daniel was very into it and wanted very much for their house to look good.  Megan and Westin just goofed around inventing all sorts of funny stuff.


This is Helena and Daniel's house.  There is a scrap piece of gingerbread trying to prop up the roof, which kept trying to slide off.  I think I didn't mix that batch of icing right.  That's what I get for being rushed!  I really should have made the gingerbread and icing the day before.


Westin grinding up candy and pretzels.  He ended up using it as "dirt" in the "garden" of their gingerbread house.


Daniel having a great time building with gingerbread.



There was lots of fun and laughter, but by the end of the afternoon, both houses had collapsed.  This was Daniel's fire pit. I liked it so much, that it got salvaged and saved for my gingerbread house's yard.







Preference Night

 

The girls took the boys home at 3:30 in the afternoon, so they could spend an hour and a half getting dressed up fancy for the dance.  At 5:00, Helena went to pick up Daniel.  She took her camera with her so that Daniel's mom could take some pictures for her.  I think Daniel's Mom was about as excited about this date as he was.  You see, it was his first formal.  They make a very cute couple, don't they? 


Helena drove to Megan's house, and both couples drove together for the remainder of the evening.  They went to DS Portraits for their dance photos.  There was a photographer at the dance itself, but DS is in the neighborhood, are friends of ours, are extremely professional, and had very reasonable rates.  They are the photographers who did our most recent family portraits.  Helena said it was 'freezing' while they had the photos done (in the studio gardens outside), and was glad for her wrap between shoots.

After pictures, they went to Olive Garden for dinner and had a fantastic time.  I think they all enjoyed being in a grown up type of setting on their own.  Helena got lots of compliments on her dress while there.  She was also pleasantly surprised that her bill wasn't as high as she feared.  I had made sure she had enough in her account for the evening, so she was worried about spending too much.

After dinner, they all stopped by our house so Helena could put her leftovers in the fridge, and pick up the ice cream coupons she had forgotten.  After a quick photo shoot in the family room, they were off on more adventures.  They went to Coney's (a new little hot dog/ice cream parlor next to Rubio's) for some frozen custard for dessert using some coupons I had picked up at work, then they were off to the dance.


Aren't Megan's shoes cute?  They match her personality completely!  You can't see Helena's shoes, but she is wearing 4" heels.  Without them the dress drags terribly.  You can tell the dress still drags some with the shoes on.

Helena said the dance was much more fun than Prom last spring.  I think that is because last year she went with someone that she only knew a little, whereas this time, she was there with best friends.  It makes a big difference.  They partied and danced every single song.  Helena was thrilled to discover that her dress was unique at the dance.  Not another girl was wearing one like it and she got tons of compliments on it.  Even Daniel commented on it.  That made me very happy to hear.  No girl wants to show up at the dance and see another girl in the same dress!



The dance was held at the Provo City Library ballroom.  This library is housed in the old history Brigham Young Academy building.  It was the original BYU back in pioneer days.



Imagine it without the tables, and you get some idea.  It was really a beautiful spot and made dressing up fancy even more fun.

They were supposed to be home by midnight, but of course, no evening is perfect.

We forgot to warn them that the freeway construction crews would be shutting down the freeway after 11 pm.  Helena sent me a frantic text saying they wouldn't make the midnight deadline because they were at a dead stop on the freeway in a massive traffic jam.  When she got home (at 1:10 am), she told about how the lanes got reduced down to one, then that one lane was finally diverted off of the freeway altogether.

Her feet were sore, but she was so very happy!  It makes me very happy to see her having such a good time!


This morning, I snuck into Helena's room and took this shot while she was sleeping, because I thought it was a perfect illustration of where she is right now.  A beautiful ball gown to go play dress up and behave like a grown girl for the evening hanging right next to the chair by the window upon which sits a trusted old childhood friend, her teddy bear.  Helena is on the verge of womanhood, soon to leave childhood behind.  Yet she is still full of the joy of childhood, and the innocence of youth.  Such a beautiful time to be alive!

2 comments:

sariqd said...

The last shot made me tear up a bit... they just grow too fast! Sounds like she had a lovely time and kudos to you for being such an awesome mom.

Kate said...

Thanks, Sara. It makes me tear up, too. I am made up of more and more sighs these days, knowing how fast the time has gone and how little I have left.

I think that last shot might make a good painting. :)